Third time lucky as Colony Locos lift cup

Delighted Colony Locos players and staff with the cup
Delighted Colony Locos players and staff with the cup

After two losing cup finals Colony Locos Manager Alan Calder and coach Derek Wood had the unenviable task of lifting their young charges in their final match.

It was also the final match for Colony for some of the players whose Juvenile careers were coming to an end. Any team reaching the Scottish Cup Final has already proven their ability and resilience but the Colony Locos faced the prospect of being the “nearly” team should they lose out to local rivals Formartine United.

Philip Woodgreaves rises high to score Colony Locos third goal

Philip Woodgreaves rises high to score Colony Locos third goal

This local derby match was staged at Spain Park and with two close league matches earlier in the season where Locos had a 2-1 victory and shared the points in a 2-2 draw it had all the prospects of a close encounter of the third kind.

With Formartine’s season finished many weeks ago they looked slow to start and not surprisingly Colony made most of the play in the opening period and United were on the back foot from the start.

After several good attacking forays which were defended well particularly by Ryan Thomson in United goal the Inverurie side eventually made the breakthrough just before the 15 minute mark. Dean Henderson played a good ball in to Daniel CRISP and the versatile attacker, recently signed up by Inverurie Locos managed to squeeze the ball under Thomson.

Just after the half hour mark Colony doubled their lead. A 25-yard free kick from Watson was poorly defended and with the United defence looking back for their keeper to take the dipping ball Grant DAWSON drifted in at the back post and forced home to make it 2-0.

After the break Formartine started the brighter and were winning more first balls and getting themselves into dangerous areas. There was an urgency to get back in the game while Colony seemed content to sit back and soak up some pressure. United looked like they would grab one back when Aitken forced Garrow in and excellent diving save after five minutes. The same duo fought it out again when Aitken was through one-on-one and again Garrow came out on top with a fine save.

Having survived some pressure Colony began to take command of the game once more and the next goal was going to be critical. Having looked suspect at a couple of corners the Formartine defence were eventually undone by another set piece. Joe Burr floated a great ball into the 6-yard box and Philip WOODGREAVES rose well clear of the defence and with the keeper static on the line he directed a powerful header back across goal into a gaping net.

Formartine couldn’t recover from that blow and Colony were able to ring the changes and substitute Matthew Battensby in his last game had the chance to make it four but his 15-yard effort was almost straight into the hands of Thomson. Formartine continued to play to the end showing a great fighting spirit but unable to penetrate the Colony defence and the Inverurie side saw the game out to win one of the most valuable trophies in Juvenile football.

Colony Locos: Garrow; Kennedy; Abel; Woodgreaves; Crisp; Henderson; Dawson; Burr; Duguid; Watson; Lawrence

Subs:Battensby; Wood; Turriff; Abel

Formartine United: Thomson; Clark; Findlay; Fraser; Marshall; Aiken; Clark; Keith; Stewart; Rose; Ritchie; Burnie; Tremaine; Lee; Lendrum; Shand; Miaze