Title target as Hunter takes charge at Formartine United

Kris Hunter has been confirmed as the new manager of Formartine United on a three-year contract.

Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 12:57 pm
Kris Hunter has been handed a three-year contract at Formartine United.

The Fraserburgh boss replaces Steve Paterson and has immediately set his sights on bringing silverware to North Lodge Park.

Hunter impressed during his stint at the Broch and had been hotly-tipped to take over the United hotseat.

At a news conference with assistant Mike Cormack at the Pitmedden ground on Tuesday night, he laid out his ambitions for the side which frustrated fans with mediocre displays this season.

Chairman Atholl Cadger, who is currently away on business, is delighted to have landed Hunter, who won three trophies in his four seasons in charge at Bellslea.

The new boss has been promised the backing he needs to have Formartine challenging for honours.

He admitted the pressure was on to lift the league title but added: “I have ambitions and if I didn’t have them I would have stayed at Fraserburgh.

“I was quite happy there and they were quite happy with what I was doing but it is my burning ambition as a manager to win leagues.

“It’s still great to be winning cups but I think you are always gauged as a manager by winning leagues.

“I won’t be happy if I don’t do it at this club and I think the opportunity is here to do it.”

Hunter revealed that full back Stuart Smith and midfielder Neil McVitie have agreed new three-year deals.

He is already eyeing new players but is prepared to wait and see who becomes available.

Meanwhile, in a statement, Fraserburgh said they had tried hard to persuade Hunter to stay and thanked him and his backroom staff for their hard work and achievements at the club.

Hunter’s first game in charge of Formartine will be at Deveronvale on Saturday.

He is targeting a third place finish to end a bitterly-disappointing season in a flourish.

United recorded a comfortable 3-0 at Clach on Saturday.

Two late goals from Cammy Keith added to an early strike from Stuart McKay at a windswept Grant Street.

Brora Rangers retained the title with a 2-1 win at closest challengers Turriff United.