United go four points clear

editorial image

Ellon United recovered from their unfortunate defeat at Sunnybank to record a fine 3 – 0 win over East End at The Meadows last weekend.

The win keeps them in top place in the table and with Sunnybank going down 1 – 0 at Longside, the gap goes back to four points.

Despite their relative inexperience the United defence stood up really well against their more physical opponents despite being fully tested, particularly with set pieces and high balls to the taller East End players, particularly the towering Dunbar and some of their midfield and defence.

East End`s more physical approach saw them have more of the early possession but they were unable to get the better of the home side.

United were forced to make an early change when Steven Main was badly caught but they were able to bring Kevin Anderson into the left hand side of midfield with Chris Craib stepping back to a defensive roll.

United were finding it difficult to pick out the vital final pass to really put pressure on the East End goal but they came to life after 30minutes.

Keeper Leiper was forced to parry a shot behind for a corner in the 36th minute and when the ball was swung across the East End defence was unable to clear with Callum Tremaine getting the final touch to bundle the ball home.

United struck again four minutes later with Lenny Johnson flicking the ball on for Callum Tremaine to add his second to give Ellon a 2 – 0 lead at the interval.

The match was finished as a contest thirty minutes into the second half when the home side forced a free kick out on their right.

Stuart Massie slipped the ball short to Lennie Johnson who cut inside before curling an unstoppable left foot shot into Leiper`s top right hand corner.

East End were unable to get a foothold in the game although they were presented with a half chance when a United defender slipped but they shot wide and they did see a header from an 81st minute corner come back off Morgan Cook`s bar.