United hit for six in dismal performance against Hive

Lenny Johnson scores Ellon's United's consolation against Stonehaven.
Lenny Johnson scores Ellon's United's consolation against Stonehaven.

Ellon United found themselves on the wrong end of a 6–1 hammering in their home league game against Stonehaven on Saturday.

If both sides had taken their chances, who knows what the final scoreline would have been.

United could not have got off to a worse start and found themselves a goal down in the first minute. The visitors were awarded a free kick and when the ball was flighted to the back post, no home player matched the run of Adams who scored with a simple header.

Ellon found themselves further behind in the 13th minute when a partially cleared header from a corner fell kindly for Cormack with the ball bouncing perfectly to allow him to promptly lob it into the postage stamp corner.

United’s afternoon was typified with just under half an hour played when a weak defensive header fell to Shand with his back to goal and when he speculatively kicked the

ball over his head to put it back into the box the wind appeared to catch it and it flew into the far top corner.

In truth, however, Stonehaven’s approach was proving far more effective and they kept winning the ball far too easily as United got bogged down in certain areas allowing their visitors too much scope.

Stonehaven were always looking the more dangerous but United should have made them pay only to be denied by keeper Robertson. Ellon finally opened their account in the 42nd minute when Kris Benzie’s cross to the back post took out the Stonehaven defence and Lenny Johnson moved in to turn the ball home.

United made a change in the 70th minute with Neil Erskine returning to duty to replace Aiden Greig but the home side were soon in trouble again. They were again punished for weak overall defensive discipline allowing Stonehaven to get in a cross which found Cormack on his own at the back post.

Ellon’s second change saw David Clark come on for Scott McLeod. The striker almost made an immediate impact but his header was turned over the bar by keeper Robertson for a corner. With two minutes of normal time remaining Matthew Tewnion was left exposed all on his own to deal with two opponents and was punished for his efforts to keep them at bay when he

conceded a penalty which was clinically converted by Cormack to complete his hat-trick.

United were caught out again at the end of the considerable stoppage time from another set piece with substitute Cook getting on the end of the free kick to apply the final touch with only time to restart.


Ellon United: McKinnon, Tremaine, Benzie, Craib, Tewnion, Crisp, Wilson, Marshal, Johnson, McLeod (David Clark), Greig ( Erskine), Coutts, Law, Cameron Clark.

Stonehaven: Robertson, Johnston, Cheyne, S Reid, McTavish, Pyper, Shand, Anderson, J Reid, Adams, Cormack, Armstrong, Goate, Smith, M Cook, J Cook.

This was undoubtably United’s most disappointing display this season. They could not have got off to a worse start but, after that, they failed in too many areas to match the movement and commitment of their opponents who were obviously lifted by their great start.

Ellon are at home again on Saturday with FC Stoneywood their visitors on league business and their management team will obviously be looking for a big response. Kick-off is at 2pm.

Meanwhile, the w,inning umbers in United’s Lucky Six draw were 1, 5, 8, 9, 10 and 13 and with no one ,picking the full set the jackpot for next week’s draw will be £1100 with the selection 6 from 19.

The consolation prize winner was J Bain.