United make light work of Sunnybank in cup

editorial image

Cracking goals from Kevin Anderson, Dean McDonald and James Bain helped Ellon United to a 3-0 win at home to Sunnybank on Saturday.

United’s all-round display swept aside their rivals last weekend at the third time of asking and their comprehensive 3 – 0 home win takes them to the top of their qualifying group in the A M Property Maintenance Morrison Cup.

United now sit on the seven-point mark with Buchanhaven Hearts and Sunny bank both on four points.

A minute’s silence was observed before United’s match in memory of Paul Morrison. Paul tragically died from cancer the week before.

He was only 42 and leaves a wife and two teenage daughters. He had a spell with United as well as several other Junior and Senior Clubs.

United might have taken a very early lead when Dean McDonald met an inswinging corner from Stuart Massie but his header flew wide. Sunnybank recovered to put Ellon under a spell of pressure without breaking down Morgan Cook and the United defence.

United went ahead after 14 minutes when they cut open the visitors, ending with Callum Tremaine feeding the ball to Kevin Anderson to fire home the opener.

Three minutes later Kevin Anderson collected Lenny Johnson`s short corner but this time his curling effort went wide.

The visitors came close to snatching an equaliser following a corner .

Morgan Cook made the initial stop with Fraser Tait on hand to finally clear the ball off the line.

Ellon were a bit slow out of the blocks after the interval and might have been caught out from a corner when the ball broke kindly for the Sunnybank number 10 but he shot well over the bar.

With United getting back into their stride it was Sunnybank who had to rely on a goal line clearance following a corner from Lenny Johnson.

Ellon kept up the pressure and scored a minute later when Kevin Anderson and Chris Craib linked up down the left and Dean McDonald picked up Chris Craib`s cross and steadied himself before slotting home from a tight angle.

United made their first change three minutes later, bringing on Jack Sim for Stuart Massie.

United`s final changes saw Scott Firth replace Kevin Anderson and James Bain come on for Dean McDonald. United continued to control things and press forward and James Bain added the icing to the cake just before the final whistle when he worked his way into a shooting position before drilling home an unstoppable shot for goal number three.

United return to the business of trying to push on their league challenge next Saturday with their final away fixture which is at Glentanar.