United match champions for deserved share of the points

Ellon United's James Wilson takes on a Hermes defender.
Ellon United's James Wilson takes on a Hermes defender.

Ellon United faced the daunting task of starting the new league campaign at home to champions Hermes on Saturday - only two weeks after their league cup meeting in which they lost 5–1.

United stood up to the challenge, however, and despite going a goal behind fought back to earn a 1–1 draw to give them an encouraging start.

Hermes were quickly out of the blocks and put United under the cosh for spells in the first half. Dawson latched on to a quick throw-in and raced forward to fire the ball across the face of the United goal.

The visitors were throwing the ball forward at every opportunity for their eager front men putting the young United defenders under pressure and in the sixth minute it took a fine save from Warren Robertson at the expense of a corner to prevent Jack opening the scoring for Hermes.

The visitors had a penalty claim dismissed in the 25th minute before United made a double change on the half hour mark with their wide defensive players, Ally Blair and Cammy Clark, taken out of the firing line and replaced by Craig Marshall and Greg Wood with Chris Craib and Callum Tremaine taking over the defensive roles.

Ellon held firm until the interval as the match remained goalless.

United conceded a free kick in a dangerous position within a couple of minutes of the restart but Lee Smith`s effort was weak and was straight at Robertson.

Ellon were now showing much more as a threat but were caught out in the 64th minute. The tall figure of substitute Mark Smith

met a cross and when United were unable to clear his header back across goal, Jack was presented with a simple finish.

The visitors were fortunate when a powerful strike from Marshall was deflected kindly into the arms of Sweeney then the Hermes keeper made two big saves to deny Scott McLeod then Wood.

Ellon made their final change in the 75th minute with David Clark replacing James Wilson.

At this stage United were matching their fancied opponents and in the 80th minute Marshall was just off target with a back post header.

Ellon enjoyed their own slice of good fortune two minutes later to draw level.

The ball was fed out to Aiden Greig who made ground up the left before finding David Clark. He made room to send in a wicked cross which was turned past his own keeper by central defender Campbell in a vain attempt to cut the ball out.

Ellon United: Robertson, Blair (Wood), Cameron Clark (Marshall), Craib, Coutts, Tewnion, Wilson (David Clark), Benzie, Tremaine, McLeod, Greig, Rose, McKinnon.

Hermes: Sweeney, Nash, L Smith, Pirie, Campbell, Brown, Macklin, McKenzie, Jack, McRae, Dawson, Strachan, Watson, M Smith, McLachlan.

United travel to Dyce on Saturday whose mixed bag of results have included some impressive results, making it difficult to predict what will be in store.

The United management team will certainly be looking for the same application shown by their side last weekend and look

to build on a good result.

Meanwhile, the winning numbers in United’s Lucky Six Draw were 1, 5, 15, 16, 18 and 19 and with no one picking the full set the jackpot for next week`s draw will be £1000 with selection 6 from 20.

The consolation prize winner was Maureen Sinclair.