United’s super six leave Huntly floored

FORMARTINE United claimed another win on their travels with a 6-1 thrashing of Huntly at Christie Park on Saturday.

The comprehensive victory moved the Pitmedden side up to third place, six points behind leaders Cove Rangers but with five games in hand.

Huntly boss Dave McGinlay’s injury-ravaged squad contained four trialists and he was only able to name three substitutes.

The game as a contest was all but over in eleven minutes when Formartine had scored three goals from three different players and were in complete control.

Formartine dominated from the start. The first attempt at goal was a swift break down the right by Bagshaw with Ewen breaking forward ending with a quick drive from the edge of the box that went a little high and wide but showed, ominously for the Huntly faithful, that Formartine had the pace, skill and organisation to get at their defence. T

The ball had penetrated Formartine territory only twice before they opened the scoring in the fourth minute. Webster broke in from the left jinking past Campbell and let fly with a hard, dipping drive that Barney did well to parry. “Squish” Munro, backing up, powered his way almost unchallenged into the box and slammed the ball past the keeper into the far corner of the net.

United moved the ball about with pace and precision and on those occasions in which Huntly managed to gain possession, they were instantly closed down and harried ruthlessly.

McVitie dispossessed a trialist in midfield and set off centrally towards the box and on the point of releasing the ball to Park overlapping to his right, he was unceremoniously brought down by Campbell.

Webster took the free kick playing a dipping curling ball into the area. Big Craig McKeown, released from defensive duties, threw himself forward to complete a powerful diving header that put his side two ahead in the seventh minute.

Formartine’s third goal followed four minutes later. Shearer rolled the ball over to Donald who set off down the right flank, rode one tackle and avoided another, before clipping the ball down the line to Ewen about three or four yards in from the goal line.

Appeals for offside were brushed aside as he clipped the ball accurately across to a point a couple of yards in from the opposite corner of the box from where strike partner Dan Park lashed it well beyond the reach of the keeper.

Uncharacteristically Ewen failed to convert a chance, latching onto a Callum Bagshaw through ball he split the central defenders to get one-on-one with keeper Barney, rounding him before shooting into the side netting.

It took until a minute before half-time for Formartine to get a fourth. This came from Callum Bagshaw following a period of siege on the home goalmouth as he forced the ball home near the keeper’s left upright.

The game as a contest was over but it was not until the 72nd minute that Bagshaw got his second and his side’s fifth by re-directing Munro’s driven cross beyond the reach of Barney from about five yards out.

Huntly’s endeavour was eventually rewarded by a goal by former North Lodge starlet, Jason Coyle. He picked up the ball about twelve yards out and drove it goalwards. It took a deflection off the heel of McKibben and flew into the net.

In the final minute, Webster scored his third in two games when he picked up a beautifully-weighted ball from Ewen and from about fifteen yards he sent it beyond the keeper’s reach.

Teams: Huntly: Barney, Campbell, Davidson, Naismith, Clark, Coyle, Gray, McCarthy, Jarosiewicz, Trialist, Stewart. Subs Trialist, Trialist, Trialist

Formartine United: Shearer, Donald, S.Smith, McKeown, M.Smith, McVitie, Munro, Bagshaw, Park, Ewen, Webster. Subs: Wilson, Davidson, Dingwall, Soane, McKibben.