Wasps three goal blitz stings Locos

Alloa keeper Hetherington makes a superb one-handed save from Locos Charlesworth
Alloa keeper Hetherington makes a superb one-handed save from Locos Charlesworth

The 5-0 final scoreline painted a flattering picture for Alloa after this encounter between Inverurie Locos and Alloa Athletic who took full advantage of a temporary loss of concentration in the home ranks to net three killer goals early in the second half.

For Inverurie Locos this was the toughest test so far, having lost at home to Elgin City then Peterhead, now stepping up to face challengers from a higher division again, the Scottish Championship.

Once again without the holidaying Martin Bavidge, the injured John Maitland, Kieran Adams, Ross Anderson as well as Andy Hunter recovering after having his tonsils removed, Locos had a line up which is gearing up for Saturday’s opening Highland League game at Nairn County.

But their hopes of settling into the game were dashed in seven minutes. A free kick right of centre was conceded 22 yards out and up stepped Stevie HETHRINGTON to curl the ball round the wall and it dipped nicely into Scott Mathieson’s left corner with the keeper at full stretch

Marc Young tried to get his team back on level terms by holding the ball out on the left then curling a crossed effort that was not far off target.

But the visitors were sharp on the ball and centre forward Isaac Layne forced Mathieson into an acrobatic save, Gordon Forsyth completing the clearance.

Hetherington tried to repeat his free kick goal but this time the home No 1 made an easy clutch and the home supporters were livened up when Martin Laing grabbed possession of the ball and went close with a right foot shot from the edge of the box.

With only a goal between the sides there was hope, but that was dashed by two goals in a minute for the team who will compete in a league this term with Rangers, Hibs and St Mirren. Possession was given away and Omer Kader squared from the left for Kyle McAUSLAND to fire into the roof of the net.

The shock rattled the Locos players and they were hit almost right away as the score became 3-0, a long ball through the centre of the defence landing perfectly for KADER to slide past Mathieson

And it was 4-0 with a third of the game left to play, Kader passing to fellow scorer Hethrington whose powerful strike was parried by Mathison. KADER was right on hand to tap home the rebound.

There was a deflated feeling among the crowd other than the vocal Wasps travelling ranks, wearing pink towels round their heads, but they were quietened for a few minutes as sub Colin Charlesworth had a shot turned out for a corner by David Crawford and the impressive goalie then turned a sweeping shot over from the same player.

Right back Kyle McAUSLAND made it 5-0 in 83 minutes, a replica of Alex McLeish’s 1982 Scottish Cup Final goal against Rangers, but Locos will rue their inability to keep the game tight for the whole game.

Locos: Mathieson, Mitchell, Forsyth, Begg, Souter, Broadhurst, Laing, McLean, Ross, Young Leyden

Subs: Charlesworth, Keir, Pugh, McCabe, Crisp, Robertson (T), Watson (T)

Alloa: Crawford, McAusland, Wilson, Catalin, Hogan, Marr, Kader, Lynas, Layne, Holmes, Hethrington

Subs: McNeil, O Brien, McManas, Duffy, Hamilton, Flannagan, Williams, Raintam, Hill, Mitchell, Ferns

Referee: S Leslie