Methlick take victory against Queens Cross

Methlick 1st X1 (h) vs Queen’s Cross/Stoneywood

May 19

A continuation of the damp spell meant that Methlick’s first home game of the season would have to be played on the artificial wicket, and the outfield at Laird’s looked as though runs would be hard fought on a sluggish outfield.

However, results between the two sides over the last few seasons gave Methlick high hopes of continuing their recent good spell of form.

Once more, the loss of the toss meant that Methlick CC were put in to bat, and Anderson and Woodhouse found scoring against the accurate opening pair of Rayner and Wright rather difficult. Anything struck well off the middle of the bat barely passed the close fielders.

Only 12 runs had been scored off the first 9 overs and, if not exactly putting pressure on the openers, this meant that some risky singles would have to be taken. Anderson survived a few howlers in the field with simple catches being dropped, and then called for a suicidal single and Woodhouse was left high and dry.

Saward then came to the crease on the back of a big century and almost immediately started the scoreboard moving with a boundary. Anderson was the next man out, bowled by Wright for 13, but this only served to bring on the big-hitting Kennedy. Despite the conditions the score started to move freely along. Taylor came on to try and stem the score but his first 2 overs went for 23 runs. However, the first ball of his 3rd bowled Kennedy for an excellent 45.

Little respite was to be had from Saward who moved quickly on to his half century, and was soon joined in the fray, after a circumspect start, by Murphy. The first 50 came of 18 overs and the second 50 only took 7 overs.

With another century approaching, Saward increased the pace and reached the mark in the 43rd over. Murphy finished the innings with an effusive 6 off the final ball to just fall short of a 50 to leave Methlick on a big 234 for 3 wickets.

Following the break, Murphy continued from where he left off bowling with controlled pace and swing with only 2 runs coming from his first 3 overs. Brian Anderson opened from the river end with a good deal more than his usual pace and 3 accurate overs only produced 4 runs. Murphy was the first to strike, clean bowling Rodger for 3, and Anderson followed up in the next over bowling Rayner for 1.

The young Queen’s Cross side batted with spirit and excellent technique but were constantly under pressure. Murphy finished his spell of 8 overs for 12 runs and 1 wicket and Anderson 7 overs for only 5 runs and a wicket.

Kennedy came on and struck twice in his second over, ably supported by the slow swing of Carr, taking 1 for 7 in his 4 overs. 3 wickets had been lost all on 18 runs leaving Queen’s Cross in a miserable position of 18 for 6 off 18 overs. Kennedy and Addison were bowling tightly in tandem and only Wright was managing to stem the flow of wickets until he was LBW from Addison for 10.

With the tail exposed they showed little resistance to Addison and Kennedy and the last 3 wickets fell for 9 runs, all clean bowled, to leave Queen’s Cross high and dry at 43 all out.

Another huge win for MCC and they have now scored almost 500 runs in 2 games against less than 90. The result has been to move 2 places up in Grade 2 to fourth. Next Saturday sees an away fixture at Sheddocksley against Caledonian, one place above in the league, which should provide an exciting fixture and hopefully keep the men from Lairds on track for promotion.