Fast and furious racing at Boyndie Drome

Action from the latest Grampian Kart Club meeting at Boyndie Drome.
Action from the latest Grampian Kart Club meeting at Boyndie Drome.

MISTY and damp conditions welcomed the karters for the third round of the Grampian Kart Club 2012 Boyndie Drome Open Challenge. However the track dried after the first heats of the day to give fast and furious racing.

Race reports: Honda Cadets: A group of three, Craig Mann, Robbie Souter and Aidan Welch broke away from the pack and on lap three Souter took the lead. A lap later Mann touched the inside rear wheel at pit corner, throwing his kart into the air, which allowed Souter to break free. Mann took up the chase and closed down Souter on the last lap but the latter held on to take the victory. Welch came home third a short distance behind. Fourth was Ross McWilliam ahead of Ben Gordon, Lewis Harper and Adam Kinmond.

Mini Max: Shaun Davidson took the early lead before Elliot McIntosh took the lead on lap three. Ross Adamson (Junior Blue) crashed out at the end of Boyndie Straight on lap five. McIntosh took the victory with Davidson second.

Junior Max: Connor Wilson led away from Ross Shearer, Jack Gordon, James Doree-Pritchard and Lewis Rae. Doree-Prichard suffered a puncher and retired and the four drivers formed a kart chain. Two laps from home Shearer took the lead but Wilson took the position back on the last lap chequered flag from Shearer, Gordon and Rae. Michael Ogilvie’s nose cone was ripped off and had to pit for a replacement. Ross McKay finished fifth ahead of Jamie Chick. Seventh was Michael Ogilvie ahead of Emma Manson and Deborah Ogilvie.

Senior Max: Pole-man, Kevin Ross, got the best start from Liam Steven and Gary Clark and these three broke away from the pack of drivers. Clark took Stephen on the second lap and thereafter the positions remained unaltered. Yvonne Russell led the pack with Keiran Smart, Michael Christie, Craig McKay and Gareth Boyers. Russell maintained fourth throughout the race to take the position at the flag with Christie moving to fifth on lap seven. Sixth was claimed by McKay followed by Alan Aitken, Smart and Derek Strachan.

Prokarts: Jack Gordon took the lead from the lights followed by Adrian Brodie, Mark Wyness and Ken Langley. Wyness lunged into second at pit corner but lost out on the next lap to Brodie with the same move. Brodie started closed down Gordon and the two swapped the lead on several occasions. Gordon took the victory with Brodie second and Wyness third. However post race adjudication swapped positions second and third places due to Brodie passing Wyness under a yellow flag. Fourth was Ken Langley followed by Jans Jursis, Aleksejs Velicko and Arturs Sauss.

ICC (Gearbox): Neil McWilliam got best start from the outside of the first row and led at the end of the first lap from Neil Anderson and Rob Walker. Anderson took the lead at the end of Boyndie Straight on the second lap and held the position to the chequered flag. McWilliam finished second with Walker third.

Results: Cadets: 1: Robbie Souter (Dyce); 2: Craig Mann (Danestone); 3: Aidan Welch (Banchory). Mini Max: 1: Elliot McIntosh (Whitecairns); 2: Shaun Davidson (Longside) Junior Max: 1: Connor Wilson (Huntly); 2: Ross Shearer (Banff); 3: Jack Gordon (Whitecairns). The next meeting at Grampian Kart Club will be on Sunday, August 12. Visit