Final round of Grampian Karting Club championships

Dry and overcast conditions greeted the drivers for the final round of the Grampian Karting Club championships.

Also it was the first round of the Northern Challenge with the second round being held at Little Ferry Circuit, Golspie in two weeks.

Feature trophy of the day was the GKC Team Challenge where teams of four were drawn by ballot.

In the Cadets, Craig Mann and Abbie Munro soon opened a gap from the rest of the pack. This pair swapped the lead on numerous occasions.

However Mann got to close at Seafield Complex and rod e up on the back of Munro’s kart.

This only slowed himself and Munro took the chequered flag with Mann not far behind.

A second pair of Logan Mann and Jonathan Edwards was equally in close competition. Edwards grabbed third on lap three and held on to cross the line two-tenths ahead of Mann.

A trio of Ben MacLeod, Hamish Ross and Ben Burnett circulated together.

Burnett fell away which left MacLeod to cross the finish line ahead of Ross.

Ben Burnett was the first novice home ahead of Jake Logan and Callum Meldrum.

In the Junior Max, Fraserburgh’s Jack Simpson, led away from the lights with Elliot McIntosh and Jack Gordon in hot pursuit.

At three-quarters distance McIntosh moved closer to Simpson’s bumper but a challenge did not materialise.

Simpson took the victory to make a complete full house of wins on the day.

McIntosh came home second, four tenths down. Gordon was third a second and a half further back. Ross Shearer finished fourth ahead of Michael Ogilvie.

The Senior Max began with a dramatic start with four karts off at the second corner, allowed Ryan Tod away and clear to take the victory and retain the club championship.

Morgan Murray had also escaped to take second place.

Developing was the race battle for third. David Eason and Connor Wilson gradually caught Liam Ross. Ross held off Eason several times and refused to yield.

Wilson moved through on Eason but again Ross rebuffed challenges. As the last corner approached Wilson was on this inside of Ross and his momentum pushed them both wide.

This allowed Eason through on the inside to take the chequered flag for third. Wilson recovered for fourth and Ross limped over the line without engine drive.

Tony Strachan was came home sixth after being involved in the first lap incident and novice Craig Mays was seventh in his retro JPS liveried kart.

The Scottish 2013 Champion in the KZ2 UK (Gearbox), Ryan Cannon, had put the kart on pole for the final and he led of the line when the green lights shone. Closely on his bumper was Ally Smith.

This pair opened a gap on the rest of the field. Smith was trying hard but Cannon held steady and took the victory by three tenths.

Walter Wallace had slotted into third and finished two seconds adrift. Michael Christie came home in a lonely fourth place.

A close battle developed for fifth place between Robbie Gray, Ian Duncan, Neil Anderson and Paul Dalgarno.

The four were in close contention but the order did not change. The next race meeting takes place on Sunday, November 10.