Gordo’s beat Methlick at the death in a deluge

The Methlick Second team who were beaten by Stonehaven
The Methlick Second team who were beaten by Stonehaven

Counteswells was the stage for an exciting, high-scoring Bon Accord Cup game on Saturday with the home side defeating MCC in the pouring rain with four balls remaining in the match.

Methlick were looking to continue with the form from the bat after last week’s high scoring encounter at Lairds and consolidation at the top of the order was required to enable the big-hitting middle order to come into play in the last 15 overs.

Woodhouse and Anderson opened the batting and with the warm and heavy atmosphere both bowlers were getting plenty of swing, requiring high levels of concentration. Gradually the two moved the score up past the 50 partnership mark and relied on sharp running between the wickets to move along at 3 runs per over.

Eventually this brought the first wicket with Woodhouse pushing to square leg and Anderson unable to make his ground and was run out for 22.

This brought Murphy to the middle at a time when the opening bowlers were looking jaded and Murphy took full advantage, smashing his first scoring shot to the boundary for six.

New bowlers came and went as Murphy continued to plunder runs, until one pull too many saw Murphy caught behind but not before he had completed an excellent 50 in his 8 overs.

Just 3 runs short of his 50 Woodhouse was given out LBW to a very shady decision by Anderson standing as umpire even though everyone heard the ball hit bat.

Jamie Jones came in scoring a wildfire 12 with 3 boundaries, but it was the farmer, Addison, who topped off the innings, blasting away at the death for an unbeaten 46 to end the 40 overs on an imposing 217 for 6.

After the interval the Gordonians’ batsmen came out with all guns blazing on a wicket that seemed to have increased in pace.

Duffy and Murphy could do nothing to stem the flow as Mohit and Ahmit pushed the score along at over 6-an- over.

Obviously pace needed to be taken off the ball and Addison and ex-Gordos, Marc Jones, were introduced into the attack and almost immediately Bremanesen took a steepling catch off Addison.

Praful went to Duffy starting his second spell and Woodhouse took a sharp catch from Jones to remove Jamil.

When Duffy finally got Ahmit on 69 the scoring rate started to fall. At the 25 over mark Gordonians still need over 90 runs off the last 15, but Chamilla came in to keep them on track as the rain started to fall. He finally went for 47 off Jamie Jones.

With one over left Gordonians needed 9 to win and with the rain teeming down Jones’s first ball was pulled for 4.

Struggling to grip the ball his next delivery was a full-toss and Mathi slapped it to the boundary for 6 to win the game.

Meanwhile, Methlick Seconds were away to Stonehaven Seconds at Mineralwell Park, Stonehaven in the Johnston Rose Bowl.

Unfortunately, the seconds were beaten by a much stronger Stonehaven side as Methlick went into bat first after we lost the toss, they managed to score 118 runs for 8 wickets off 40 overs.

The Stonehaven seconds batting scored 119 for 1 wicket off 27 overs.