Newburgh Thistle are kings of the Castle Rovers Cup

editorial image

Newburgh Thistle have won the first trophy in the club’s history by beating St Laurence 5-3 on penalties in the Castle Rovers Cup.

The Newburgh side came from a goal down at New Advocates Park in Aberdeen on Friday night to win the sides first silverware.

Thistle manager Scott Wilson described “jubilant scenes” as the club chairman Ian Alexander and their departing captain Ross Andrews lifted the Castle Rovers Cup high into the night sky.

Newburgh started the final the more nervous of the two teams but St Laurence never troubled the Division 2 North side bar a few routine saves from Thistle keeper Kevin Martin.

Thistle themselves had a couple of chances to take the lead before the break through Andrews and Lee Shanks but the teams left the pitch at half-time with the scores level.

Newburgh started the second half brighter than they had started the first but fell behind to a goal around the 60 minute mark thanks to some poor defending from a throw-in.

Ten minutes later Thistle were thrown a lifeline when the St Laurence centre-back was rightly sent off following a two footed challenge.

It was all out attack from Newburgh from then on and with time quickly running out Thistle won their first corner of the game with four minutes left on the clock.

St Laurence’s defensive header out fell to the feet of Scott Allardyce whose half volley met the head of Thistle’s top goalscorer Phil McCall and the game was going to extra time.

With 120 minutes unable to separate the two sides Martin saved the 4th St Laurence spot-kick, leaving Reece Milne to slot the ball home and start the Thistle celebrations.

Andrews, the Newburgh captain who was playing his last game for the club, spoke of his “obvious delight” following the victory.

He said: “It was my first season as captain and I was delighted to sign off on a high note.

“One of the proudest moments of my career and I’m sure they can now go on and get promotion next year.”