Dry sunny conditions for kart third round

Battling it out in the Prokarts are Jack Gordon, Stuart Wyness and Ryan Cannon.
Battling it out in the Prokarts are Jack Gordon, Stuart Wyness and Ryan Cannon.

The third round of the Boyndie Drome Open Challenge took place at the Banff Circuit on July 14.

The weather was dry, sunny and warm, conditions strange to Boyndie!

In the Honda Cadets, Craig Mann had the best start from the outside of the front row, but at Gate Corner, Aidan Welch got on the inside and took the lead opening a gap and took his first final victory.

Craig Mann went onto to take second. A group of four karts were battling for third.

Cameron Henderson was ahead of Logan Mann, Jonathan Edwards and Callum Welch and maintained the position to take third.

Edwards took fourth on the last lap at the end of Boyndie Straight. However Logan Mann regained the position through Kevin’s Korner and took the chequered flag ahead Edwards.

Callum Welch had dropped away following a driving error to finish sixth. Ben Le Hurray came home ahead Ben Burnett.

The ‘B’ Prokart final was won by Matthew McBride followed home by Ken Langley.

These drivers got the last two spots in the ‘A’ final.

Jack Gordon, from pole position, got away followed by Stuart Wyness, Ryan Cannon, Mark Wyness, John Webster and Craig Chapman.

Stuart Wyness ran wide at the top of the circuit allowing Cannon through. Michael Harron had came up though from sixth also took advantage of loss of momentum by Wyness.

Wyness regained third a lap later and the pair swapped positions on several occasions. However the race was to take a controversial turn as two black flags were issued.

The first was to Stuart Wyness for driving over the kerbs and the second was to Michael Harron for causing an accident with Alan Towler.

Therefore the final order was Jack Gordon, Ryan Cannon, John Webster, Mark Wyness, Alan Gordon and Matthew McBride.

In the Junior Max, following victory in the prokarts Pole-man, Jack Gordon, got off to the best start and soon opened up a gap and went on unchallenged to take the chequered flag for victory.

Shaun Davidson had got the jump on Ross Shearer at the lights but Shearer gained second on lap five and took the position. Davidson came home third.

A close battle between Michael Ogilivie and Lewis Rae resulted in fourth for the former. Cameron McPhee came home sixth.

In the Senior Max, Connor Wilson from pole position got away and immediately opened a gap over Gary Clark.

Clark began to close down and was right on Wilson’s bumper with three laps to go. Clark tried on several occasions to take the lead but Wilson held on to take the victory.

A five-kart train was evolving for third between Lucy Grant, Tony Strachan, Liam Ross, Yvonne Russell and Kieran Smart. Strachan got on the inside at gate corner on lap five.

No other changes took place with Strachan taking third ahead of Grant, Ross, Russell and Smart. Emma Manson was eighth ahead of Gary Williams and Connor MacIntosh.

Ian Duncan grabbed the lead from Bobby Davidson, Neil Anderson and John Robertson in the ICC (Gearbox) race.

Anderson got ahead of Davidson on the second tour. The race got strung out and victory was Duncan’s ahead of Anderson, Davidson and Robertson.

Christine Livingston presented trophies in clubhouse after the meeting.

The next race meeting takes place on Sunday , August 4

See website www.grampiankartclub.com for more details on the club and forthcoming events.