Thumping victory for Amateurs

ELLON A.F.C. hosted Glendale in an Association Trophy First Round match at the Meadows. Glendale had made a good start to their league campaign so this was not expected to be an easy fixture for the home side

Glendale looked a big physical side and they started brightly, with only some desperate defending by Ellon keeping them in the game early on.

But it did not take long for Ellon to impose themselves on the game with Robertson firing over a free kick from 25 yards just over.

Ellon took the lead on 11 minutes when a cross by Slesser appeared to have been gathered by keeper Innes but Hamilton made a nuisance of himself in the box and the keeper dropped the ball allowing Hamilton to stab home for Ellon’s opener.

Ellon huffed and puffed but could not bag the second that would allow them to settle but eventually, after 26 minutes, they got on the scoresheet again when a poor goal kick by Innes went straight to Hamilton who played in Bain who finished in his usual efficient manner.

Only a minute later the home side were three up when a great move involving Slesser, Lee Morrison and Hamilton saw Longmuir racing into the box were he met the ball on the drop to fire a screamer into the top corner,

Ellon continued to press and Longmuir, MacNeill and Hamilton passed up chances to extend their lead. But this they did just before the half when a great ball by Robertson found Bain just on the far corner of the box and the striker controlled neatly and held off a defender to stoke home his side’s fourth and his second.

With the game virtually over as a contest and Glendale looking a dispirited bunch, Ellon were instructed to show no mercy and get a few more goals.

Both Hamilton and Bain had early efforts and Bain had a good claim for a penalty turned down as he was impeded after a great run into the box.

With 10 minutes gone manager Booth decided to make use of his substitutes as Grant Morrison replaced Robertson.

Striker Oag seemed to be the only player capable of threatening the home goal with his pace and directness. Keeper Dickinson to hold one of his efforts as Glendale looked for a consolation.

Ellon made another couple of changes as Wilson replaced MacNeill and Shaw replaced Longmuir. What a change it proved to be, as defender Wilson attempted a speculative 35 yard effort which went all along the ground and under keeper Innes to make it five.

Irvine went close to making it six but his shot the post and went safe. Cumming replaced Slesser and took up a wide left berth.

Glendale had not given up though, and Oag was again the danger man with Grant Morrison forced to bring him down just on the edge of the box.

Oag again broke free of a challenge by Urquhart to fire a good ball across goal to Noble who netted for the visitors after 38 minutes.

Ellon’s sixth was not long in arriving, however, as a great ball by Cumming saw Shaw racing at the back post to slot home, giving the Amateurs a final victory with six goals to one.

Ellon scored six for the third time in four matches, with striker Bain notching another two. Calum Irvine put in a great performance in the middle of the park and Ellon seem to be returning to some of their pre-season form. They really gave a big cumbersome Glendale side the run around, with Lee Morrison always in space on the right which he used to good effect.

Manager Booth will be expecting another performance like this when they get back to league duty next Saturday the 1st September away to Lad Club.

Ellon: Dickinson, Lee Morrison, Slesser, Hamilton, Laird, Urquhart, Longmuir, Irvine, Bain, MacNeill, Robertson.

Subs: Cumming, Sutherland, Grant Morrison, Shaw, Wilson.