United go forward after triumph

By Irvine Morris


ELLON United qualified for the knock out stages of the Grill League Cup with their 2-1 win over Lewis United at the Sports Village last weekend, as Saturday’s win takes Ellon on to the ten point mark and Lewis United can now only reach nine points if they win their remaining fixture. Ellon can now look forward to a home quarter final tie on Saturday, August 27 against the winners of the Section 5, with Cruden Bay and Isalvale the two main contenders.

Ellon opened on the front foot with a Michael McTavish effort cleared off the line in the third minute. Lewis’ Crisp was booked for a rash challenge three minutes later. With seven minutes gone, Michael McTavish broke on the right and fired the ball low across the face of the goal with Chris Craib just failing to make contact at the back post. Lewis responded with Law heading wide after a home corner had been headed back into the danger area. Ellon lived dangerously for a spell. A free header off an 11th minute free kick was deflected behind off Ross Buchanan’s bar for a corner. Buchanan was then forced into making a fine save in the 18th minute, but he was left helpless five minutes later when the home side took the lead. Lewis won a throw in and were allowed to break through two ineffective challenges far too easily, before the ball was cut back to Biskup to open the scoring from only 6 yards out. Ellon broke straight up the field on the restart, with Keith Walker finding Chris Craib, whose cut back was met by Ross Forsyth but his first time effort went just wide. Ellon almost equalised in the 32nd minute, but Mark Lawson’s powerful header off Greg Simpson’s corner crashed back off the bar.

Ellon reorganised their defence at the interval with Steve Gunn taking up a sweeping roll, and Neill Irvine making way. Ellon had better posession in the first part of the second half, without really managing to test keeper Fyffe and were almost caught out in the 67th minute when substtitute Cort was unable to find the target with a back post header.

Lenny Johnson replaced Greg Simpson in the 70th minute and the visitors levelled within two minutes through the goal of the match. Niall Corser found Chris Craib who controlled the ball neatly and shrugged aside his marker, before cutting inside and curling a right foot shot beyond the keeper. Ellon introduced Duncan Chalmers for Chris Craib in the 82nd minute and the striker gave the visitors the lead direct from the corner in the 85th minute. A 90th minute back post header from Jamie McKinnon could have settled matters, but found the side netting and Ellon had to endure a further six minutes of stoppage time before the referee brought the proceedings to a close.

Ellon: Buchanan, Irvine, Johnston, Corser, McKinnon, Lawson, Simpson, Forsyth, McTavish, Walker, Craib, Chalmers, Johnson, Gunn.

Lewis United: Fyffe, McLelland, Ness, Leith, Duncan, Crisp, McKinnon, Paul, Law, Biskup, Allan, Duthard, Sim, Cort, Gribble, Moir, Paul, Allan.

Following their opening league game against Maud at The Meadows on Tuesday night, Ellon United are again on home league business next Saturday when Forres Thistle visit The Meadows, KO 2.30pm.

The winning numbers in United’s weekly Lucky Six draw were 1, 2, 4, 5, 14 and 17 and with no one picking the full set the jackpot for next week’s draw will be £1000 with the selection 6 from 20. The consolation prize was won by S Clubb.