Victory for Ellon against Orkney, by Jack Calvert

AFTER a break of two weeks without a game Ellon were looking to keep their good run going.

The visitors arrived with only thirteen players and under the competition rules had to play against the full strength Ellon.

Orkney were, however, fired up for the encounter against the side who had won the first match of the season in Kirkwall. For the first ten minutes it didn’t look as though Ellon had two more players on than Orkney. After six minutes Ellon thought they had the first score when winger Cousins dived over in the corner but the try was ruled out for a forward pass. The scoreline remained deadlocked until the tenth minute when pressure from the forwards resulted in a try for Curtis.

The lead was stretched five minutes later when Orkney indiscipline led to a penalty which was kicked into touch. From the line out Brown drove over to give the side a ten point lead.

A scrum on the Orkney five metre line led to scrum-half Shirron picking up from the base and darting over. The try was converted by Emery to give Ellon a 17-00 lead.

Given their superior numbers Ellon had been very sloppy throughout the first half and the coaches were clearly unhappy with some poor passing and lack of communication.

The half-time team talk got an immediate reaction, with the backs running and offloading to send Cousins over in the corner.

Despite the scoreline Orkney had a decent amount of possession but lack of numbers meant they were never able to break through. Fifteen minutes into the second half the scoreline was 27-0 when Owen collected a ball from a five metre line-out to dive over. The lead was extended to 34 points when pressure on Orkney and some good offloading enabled stand-off Cruickshank to score. The try was converted by Shirron.

The Ellon dominance continued with good play from the backs creating space for any one of three players to score. Walker took the final pass to dive over.

The try of the match was scored with almost the final move of the game when a brilliant break from Emmison saw him surge through a number of tackles before offloading to captain Gillan who cut inside and scored. The try was converted for a 46 – 0 victory.

It wasn’t the best performance but Ellon’s winning run continues and they are now comfortably in second place in Caledonia League 1 North. However, they will need to improve before the visit of leaders, Highland RFC in two weeks.

Coach Gareth Kemp said: “Many thanks to Orkney for still coming when short of numbers”.

“Next we have Moray away and we will need to improve to maintain our position.”